Updated September 26, 2017
SES QSTI/QSTO Approval Application and Renewal Policies and Procedures
QI – Qualified Individual (source: ASTM Standard Practice D7036-04)
QSTI – Qualified Source Test Individual
QSTO – Qualified Source Test Observer
SES – Source Evaluation Society, the exam provider and QSTI/QSTO approving body
Relevant duration and expiration dates
1. Your score for an SES methods group knowledge exam is valid for 5 years from the date you sit for and pass a relevant exam.
2. You may apply for an initial SES QSTI/QSTO approval document up to 5 years following the date on which you pass one or more relevant exams. See below for the procedures.
3. You may apply to renew an SES QSTI/QSTO approval document up to 5 years following the date on which you pass one or more relevant exams even if your previous QSTI/QSTO approval document has expired. See below for the procedures.
4. The document expiration date for an SES QSTI/QSTO approval whether an initial approval or a renewal is 5 years from the date you pass the relevant methods group knowledge exam(s). After the expiration date, you are no longer an approved QSTI or QSTO (or QI) until you retake and pass the relevant methods group exam(s) and reinstate such approved status.
Applying for an initial SES methods group QSTI/QSTO approval document
1. You may apply for a QSTI or QSTO approval document once you pass one or more SES methods group knowledge exam(s). The application form requires you to provide:
The application form requests but does not require information about:
(Select the appropriate QSTI or QSTO application form listed below.)
2. To support each QSTI or QSTO approval application, you must provide descriptions of at least two different projects demonstrating your field testing experience with the test methods covered in the relevant methods group.
See also Methods Covered Under Each Group Exam. You may submit one or more project description that addresses your conducting test methods from more than one methods group if you are applying for more than one QSTI or QSTO methods group approval document.
3. An approved complete initial application for one methods group will satisfy your concurrent or subsequent request for QSTO or QSTO approvals for other methods groups exams you pass. That is, you need not submit a separate new application for each methods group; however, you must provide descriptions of at least two different projects demonstrating your field testing experience with the test methods covered in each relevant methods group whenever you apply for a QSTI or QSTO methods group approval document.
Applying for RENEWAL of an SES methods group QSTI/QSTO approval document
1. Once you have repeated and passed one or more methods group exam(s) for which you already have a QSTI or QSTO approval document, even if that approval has expired, you may submit the abbreviated SES QSTI or QSTO methods group renewal application. You need not submit the more extensive QSTI or QSTO methods group approval application nor new project descriptions to renew such approval(s).
2. The renewal application requires you to document continued and current field testing activities (e.g., record of the number of tests conducted at various levels of participation over the most recent 2 years) and a wet ink signature of the applicant.
Submitting SES QSTI or QSTO methods group applications and supporting documentation
Submit your application and supporting documentation including questions about the process to the SES QSTI/QSTO Administrator by email to the SES QSTI/QSTO Administrator at QSTIProgram@gmail.com